From sweet and smooth classics, to new names, to old names with new music...the focus here, is to shine a little light on some damn fine music.

I'll find it. You can listen, review, or tell me I wouldn't know good music if it kicked me in the ass. I personally don't give a shit.

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Me and Paul: Two Of Us Riding Nowhere

It just didn't feel right to not wish Paul McCartney a happy birthday.

He of the band which started this path from where I have never looked back. In 1964, The Beatles appeared on the Ed Sullivan show. I remember waiting all day for the show to start. As it began, I was lying on the olive green carpet in the living room watching the black & white TV, freaking the fuck out while trying not to let my parents realize just how crazed I was internally.

Now by this time my mother especially, knew just how much music meant to me. That didn't mean she liked it. If I had a dollar for every time she yelled for me to "turn down that garbage," I would be a very rich woman. Instead, the only way I consider myself rich is in how fulfilled I am because of the music. And John, Paul, George and Ringo were the start of it.

I remember in the 70's, I was going out with this guy who had several younger brothers and sisters. One time, the name of The Beatles came up and the second youngest of the family said to me, "oh yeah, that was the band Paul McCartney was in before Wings." I nearly coughed up a lung. But time and generations pass quickly and we all think the music of our own was the best. But the 60's-70's was the best. It changed everything and created the path for all that came later.

Sir Paul is 71 today. I caught the first hour of his show which was streamed live from Bonnaroo this past weekend. While the voice can be a little shaky, he still captivates the audience, still has a presence, still moves like a kid, and let's face it... he is still a Beatle.

Cheers Sir Paul, wishing you many, many more.

"Maybe I'm Amazed"



"Blackbird"


"Here, There and Everywhere"

"Let Me Roll It"


.

4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to Paul.

    I like how you remember the color of the carpet. That says something.

    The more you study The Beatles and Wings and Paul solo, you see how he doesn't get the critical credit from the music snobs he should. His brilliance went 4 decades and crossed genres.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember the carpet, I hated the color but is was the 60's and everything was olive green or puke yellow.

      Love my Beatles as you know. They took the hits and opened the doors for everyone else. Thanks Lance.

      Delete
  2. i remember listening to Beatles,Little Richard,the Drifters(the dj called them the driftas)and others on the outlawed radio free europe.green carpet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't even imagine how it felt to hear those sounds by way of the Underground basically. Yes, green carpet, ugly as sin.

      Delete